Illinois State Lotteries Laws
Created byВ FindLaw’s team of legal writers and editors | Last updated June 20, 2016
Each state treats gambling differently, and subsequently, each of the 50 states has differentВ laws prohibiting and allowing various forms of gambling. The most common forms of gambling in the United States are: horseracing, commercial casinos, Indian casinos, charitable gambling, and state lotteries.
Illinois allows legal forms of charitable gambling (a form of gambling in which revenues go to charities), horseracing, commercial gambling, and the state lottery. The Illinois state lottery, referred to as вЂњIllinois Lottery,вЂќ began operating on July 1, 1974. It offers several games, including: Pick 3, Pick 4, scratchers, Mega Millions, and Powerball.
Generally, official state lotteries designate certain public recipients of lottery revenues, usually public schools. In Illinois,В state lottery laws specifically direct an unspecified portion of all revenue to the state’s Common School Fund, which helps to find Illinois public schools. The lottery also features specialty games that direct revenue to various charitable causes directed towards helping Illinois veterans and HIV/AIDS patients, as well as funding the treatment and research of breast cancer and multiple sclerosis.
The main provisions of Illinois state lottery laws are listed in the following table.
20 ILCS 1605-1 et seq.
Distribution of Lottery Revenue
Set by department; all revenue to go to “State Lottery Fund”
Additional Purpose of Lottery
To support the state’s Common School Fund
Lottery Prize Subject to Garnishment
Withheld for past due support
Time Limit to Claim Prize/Disposition
Set by department/added to prize pool for special drawings
Prohibited Related Activities
At greater price; to charge a fee to redeem a prize; from unlicensed sales agent; altering ticket; sale to minors
Note:В State laws are constantly changing –В contact an Illinois gaming attorneyВ or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.
For more general information on lottery laws, browse FindLaw’s Details on State Lottery В Laws В article.В If youвЂ™d like more information on the laws relating specifically to Illinois, check out our article on Illinois Gambling Laws orВ the links to the resources listed below. Finally, if you have more specific questions regarding the Illinois state lottery, you may want to think about hiring a local gaming attorney .
Research the Law
- Illinois Law
- Official State CodesВ – Links to the official online statutes (laws) in all 50 states and DC.
Illinois State Lotteries Laws: Related ResourcesChart providing details of Illinois State Lotteries Laws
A Day With the Illinois Lottery Cup Sweepstakes Official Rules
Home | A Day With the Illinois Lottery Cup Sweepstakes Official Rules
A Day with the Illinois Lottery Cup Sweepstakes
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE ODDS OF WINNING
1. PROMOTION PERIOD: The A Day with the Illinois Lottery Cup Sweepstakes (“Promotion”) will run from August 17, 2020 12:00 am Central Time (“CT”) through August 30, 2020 at 11:59 pm CT (“Promotion Period”).
2. SPONSOR AND ADMINISTRATORS:
For purposes of these Official Rules, “Sponsor” shall mean the Illinois Department of the Lottery (“Illinois Lottery”), which is acting through Camelot Illinois LLC (“Camelot”) in its capacity as the private manager or its successor designated by the Illinois Lottery. The Promotion is administered by the Chicago Wolves Hockey Team (“Chicago Wolves”) and Rockford IceHogs Hockey Team (“Rockford IceHogs”) (Chicago Wolves and Rockford IceHogs shall collectively be, the “Administrators”).
3. AGREEMENT TO THE OFFICIAL RULES: By participating in the Promotion, all entrants fully and unconditionally agree to and accept these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and Administrators as final and binding in all matters related to the Promotion. Winning a prize (described below) is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Promotion, players must either enter during the Promotion Period via (a) the Chicago Wolves Entry Page or (b) the Rockford IceHogs Entry Page. No other method of entry will be accepted. Limit one (1) entry per person, regardless of method of entry. Additional entries beyond the specified limit will be void. Limit one (1) prize per person.
By Chicago Wolves Entry Page: During the Promotion Period, players may enter the Promotion at www.chicagowolves.com/lotterycup. Entrants must complete the official online entry form in its entirety, including their first name, last name, zip code, date of birth, and email address where they can be reached for potential winning notification. Upon clicking the “Submit” button, entrants will receive one (1) entry into the Promotion.
By Rockford IceHogs Entry Page: During the Promotion Period, players may enter the Promotion at https://icehogs.com/news/win-a-day-with-the-illinois-lottery-cup. Entrants must complete the official online entry form in its entirety, including their first name, last name, zip code, date of birth, and email address where they can be reached for potential winning notification. Upon clicking the “Submit” button, entrants will receive one (1) entry into the Promotion.
The Promotion computer, as determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion, is the official timekeeping device for each of the Sweepstakes. Sponsor, Administrators, and Camelot assume no responsibility for incomplete, inaccurate, lost, mutilated, late, stolen, or misdirected entries.
5. ODDS: Odds of winning the prizes set forth in Section 7 of these Official Rules depends on the total number of eligible entries received during the Promotion Period.
6. ELIGIBILITY: The Promotion is open only to individuals who, at the time of entry, are at least eighteen (18) years of age and are residents of the State of Illinois. In addition, the following persons are not eligible to enter this Promotion or claim a prize: (a) the employees, officers, directors, partners, equity holders, members and agents of the Administrators; (b) any member of the Lottery Control Board (“Board”), and any officer or any other person employed by the Board or the Sponsor; (c) owners, officers, and employees Camelot; (d) officers and employees of advertising, public relations, and sales promotion agencies employed by the Sponsor who are directly involved in the Illinois Lottery engagement; (e) officers and employees of audit firms performing services for the Sponsor; (f) other contractors and agents of the Sponsor; and (g) any spouse, child, or family member residing as a member of the same households in the principal place of residence of any person designated in (a) through (f). This Promotion is void where prohibited by law.
7. PRIZES AND THE VALUE OF THE PRIZES:
One (1) Chicago Wolves Prize: The Chicago Wolves Prize winner will receive possession of the Illinois Lottery Cup for 24 hours (full restrictions and details to be provided by the Chicago Wolves), a Chicago Wolves autographed stick, two (2) Chicago Wolves t-shirts, Chicago Wolves bobblehead, Chicago Wolves bottle opener, and $25 worth of Illinois Lottery instant tickets (collectively, the “Chicago Wolves Prize”). The approximate retail value (“ARV”) of the Chicago Wolves Prize is $400.00.
One (1) Rockford IceHogs Prize: The Rockford IceHogs Prize winner will receive possession of the Illinois Lottery Cup for 24 hours (full restrictions and details to be provided by the Rockford Icehogs); Rockford IceHogs golf pack, including three (3) golf balls, two (2) towels, two (2) ball markers, and two (2) Rockford IceHogs hats; an on-ice fan Zamboni experience; and access to a Rockford IceHogs regular season game suite for up to 10 people during the 2020-21 season (collectively, the “Rockford IceHogs Prize”). The date, time, and location of the game and the seat location of the tickets will be chosen at the Rockford IceHogs sole discretion. The ARV of the Rockford IceHogs Prize is $575.00.
The dates and times of the Promotion may be subject to change and cancellation. The winner and guest(s) agree to comply with all applicable venue rules and policies in connection with the prizes. Any comments made by a winner in a social media format containing material that is inappropriate, offensive, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, or libelous may disqualify the winner, at Administrator’s sole discretion. The Released Parties (defined below) will not be responsible for acts of God, acts of terrorism, civil disturbances, work stoppage, or any other natural disaster outside their control that may cause the cancellation or postponement of the Promotion. All other expenses and costs, not expressly listed above, including, but not limited to, federal, state, and local taxes, parking, and ground transportation are the winners’ sole responsibility. All travel risks, insurance, loss, or damage due to prize acceptance or use are the sole responsibility of the winners. The Released Parties will not be responsible for any loss, liability, or damage arising out of a winner’s acceptance or use of a prize.
8. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION TO PRIZE WINNERS:
One prize winner will be randomly selected from the pool of eligible entries received via the Chicago Wolves Entry Page to receive the Chicago Wolves Prize, and one prize winner will be randomly selected from the pool of eligible entries received via the Rockford IceHogs Entry Page to receive the Rockford IceHogs Prize. The Administrators will contact the potential winners via email approximately 24 hours after the conclusion of each drawing and provide instructions on how to claim the applicable Prize (“Prize Notification”). The potential prize winners will be required to execute and return the Promotion prize claim form (either in person or via email) and release of liability and publicity, unless prohibited by law. The potential winners will have 48 hours after they are contacted to claim their prize. The Administrators will coordinate delivery of the prizes to winners. By entering, the entrant consents to be contacted by the Administrators in connection with the Prize Notification. The Sponsor, Administrators, and Camelot will not be liable for any delays in the receipt of Prize Notification messages.
If any potential winner does not respond to the Prize Notification within the time period set forth in the Promotion prize claim form or declines the prize for any reason, disqualification and prize forfeiture will result, and at Administrators’ sole discretion and time permitting, an alternate potential winner will be randomly selected from the pool of eligible entries received during the Promotion Period.
The potential winner is subject to verification of identity and eligibility prior to the award of the Prize.
9. GENERAL PRIZE RESTRICTIONS: Prizes are subject to availability and change. Only one (1) winner per household will be allowed during the Promotion Period. If due to a printing, production or other error more prizes are claimed than are intended to be awarded, the intended prize or prizes will be awarded in a random drawing from among all verified and validated entries. All prizes won by prizewinners will be subject to the Illinois Lottery’s debt setoff procedures. No substitution or cash redemption allowed by winners. No cash equivalent of the prize will be awarded, and the prize is not exchangeable or otherwise transferable. Administrators reserve the right to substitute the prize in whole or in part with other prizes of comparable or greater value, if the intended prize is not available for any reason, as determined by the Administrators in their sole discretion. Transportation and lodging are not included. The winners will be exclusively and solely responsible for travel to and the costs thereof, and all other costs and expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not described as being provided, including but not limited to parking expenses, gratuities, incidentals, and other expenses incurred by accepting a prize. This Promotion is governed by and shall be construed in accordance with Illinois law and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Any and all taxes, including but not limited to federal, state, and local taxes, are the exclusive and sole responsibility of the winner. The winners may be required to provide his or her Social Security number and appropriate tax documentation for tax reporting purposes. If required, Administrators will file an IRS Form 1099 or similar document with the Internal Revenue Service for the fair market value of any prize.
10. GENERAL CONDITIONS AND RELEASE: The Promotion is subject to applicable laws and regulations. By entering, each entrant (a) agrees to defend, indemnify, release, and hold harmless the Sponsor, Administrators, and Camelot (collectively, the “Promotion Entities”), and each of their respective owners, parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, agents, employees, managers, licensees, distributors, dealers, retailers, printers, representatives, advertising and promotion agencies, and any and all other companies associated with the Promotion, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, and representatives (collectively with the Promotion Entities, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, causes, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind that may occur, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, arising out of the entrant’s participation in this Promotion or receipt or use of any prizes, including, but not limited to: (i) unauthorized human intervention in the Promotion; (ii) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone or network lines; (iii) printing errors; (iv) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (v) errors in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries, including but not limited to data entry errors resulting from or caused by the entering, keying, or mis-keying of the required information by entrants; (vi) injury or damage to persons or property that may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Promotion or receipt or use of any prize; (vii) the unauthorized or illegal access to personally identifiable or sensitive information or the acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any travel or activity related to the receipt or use of any prize; (b) grants Sponsor and each of its respective designees a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and fully licensable license to use, copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, modify, adapt, translate, archive, store, and create derivate works from entrant’s post (including any images) in whole or in part, in any form, format, or medium, of any kind now known or later developed; (c) if selected as the winner, consents to the use by Sponsor, Administrators, Camelot, and each of their respective designees of the winner’s name, hometown, photograph, voice, or other likenesses and prize information for promotion, advertising, and marketing purposes in any media or format now known or hereafter devised, throughout the world, in perpetuity, without additional compensation, consideration, notification, or permission, unless prohibited by law, and upon request will provide written confirmation of such consent; and (d) acknowledges that none of the Released Parties or anyone else has either made, or is in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation, or guarantee, either expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize including but not limited to, its quality or availability and all such warranties are disclaimed in their entirety.
None of the Released Parties or any of their service providers are responsible for incorrect or inaccurate transcription of entry information; any human or other error, technical malfunctions; lost or delayed data or voice transmission; omission; interruption; deletion; defect; line failures of any telephone network, computer equipment, or software; inability to access any online service or website or to complete a telephone call or facsimile transaction; any other error or malfunction; late, lost, or misdirected mail; or any injury or damage to an entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation in this Promotion.
None of the Released Parties are responsible for or liable for: (a) late, lost, damaged, misdirected, misaddressed, incomplete, unintelligible, illegible, or postage due entries; (b) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, internet or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties of any kind; (c) failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions; (d) any condition caused by events beyond their control that may cause the Promotion to be disrupted or corrupted; (e) any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising in connection with or as a result of the Promotion, acceptance, possession, or from participation in the Promotion; (f) any printing or typographical error in any material associated with the Promotion; (g) any other errors, problems or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, network, computer, telephone, wireless service, mail, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Promotion, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties that may occur in connection with the administration of the Promotion, the processing of entries, the announcement of the prizes, or in any Promotion-related materials; or (h) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by website users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Promotion.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PROMOTION, TAMPER WITH THE ENTRY PROCESS, OR OTHERWISE UNDERMINE THE CONTENT OR LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, ADMINISTRATOR WILL DISQUALIFY ANY SUCH ENTRANT, AND ADMINISTRATOR AND THE APPLICABLE PROMOTION ENTITIES AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AGENTS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) AND OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT OR INDIVIDUAL(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
No failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall constitute a waiver of that provision. These Official Rules may be modified for clarification purposes without materially affecting the terms and conditions of the Promotion. If for any reason the Promotion (or any portion thereof) is not capable of being executed as planned, or in the case of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, action of entrants, technical failures, or any other causes that, in the opinion of Camelot or Administrators, corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Promotion (or any portion thereof), Camelot and Administrators reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any suspect entry or entrant and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Promotion (or any portion thereof). Any entrant that enters the Promotion via a fake account (e.g., bot account) will be disqualified. Camelot and Administrators reserve the right in their sole discretion to cancel the Promotion in its entirety, if it becomes technically corrupted or because of non-authorized human intervention. In the event of any disqualification of a suspect entry or entrant, notice thereof will be posted and the determination of the prize winner will be made from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received as of the time of such disqualification, as Camelot or Administrators determine in their sole discretion. Entrants not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. In the event of any termination, cancellation, or suspension, notice thereof will be posted on the Administrators’ websites.
11. APPLICABLE LAWS: All entrants agree to comply with and abide by all applicable laws, including the Illinois Lottery Law (20 ILCS 1605/1 et seq.), administrative rules and regulations, instructions, conditions and final decisions of the Sponsor and all procedures established by Sponsor and Camelot for the Promotion. In the event of a conflict between these Official Rules and any summary, representation, or other restatement of rules appearing in any advertisement, point of sale material, tickets or other media, these Official Rules shall govern. In the case of a conflict or contradiction between or among the Illinois Lottery Law, Illinois Lottery administrative rules (11 Ill. Admin. Code Parts 1700 and 1770), and these Official Rules, the Illinois Lottery Law and administrative rules shall control. The Sponsor does not waive sovereign immunity rights provided under law and nothing in these Official Rules shall be interpreted to constitute a waiver of the Sponsor’s sovereign immunity rights.
12. DISPUTE RESOLUTION: Except where prohibited by law, by entering, Promotion entrants agree that in the event of a dispute concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, or enforceability of these Official Rules, the determination of the Sponsor shall be final and binding. Any entrant who disputes a final decision of the Sponsor may seek review before a hearing officer pursuant to Section 7.3 of the Illinois Lottery Law. In accordance with the Illinois Lottery’s hearing rules (11 Ill. Admin. Code Part 1700), the Director will review the recommendation of the hearing officer and, if applicable, the Board, and issue a final decision regarding the dispute. Any party adversely affected by a final decision or order of the Director may obtain judicial review as provided by the Illinois Lottery’s hearing rules and Administrative Review Law (735 ILCS 5/Article III). All issues and questions concerning the rights and obligations of participant(s) in relation to Sponsor, Camelot, and their agents shall be governed by and construed exclusively in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law of any jurisdiction. Entrant agrees that any such action at law or in equity shall be filed only in the state or federal courts located in Chicago, Illinois, and entrant hereby consents and submits to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW, BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS PROMOTION, EACH ENTRANT AGREES THAT: (A) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS, AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THIS PROMOTION, OR AWARDING OF THE PRIZES, SHALL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; AND (B) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS, AND AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED, INCLUDING COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH PARTICIPATING IN THIS PROMOTION BUT IN NO EVENT ATTORNEYS’ FEES; AND (C) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY PARTICIPANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN AWARDS FOR AND HEREBY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN FOR ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES; AND ANY AND ALL RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED.
13. E-MAIL COMMUNICATION: By entering into this Promotion, entrants will have the option to sign up to receive e-mail communication from the Illinois Lottery. Entrants will have the ability to unsubscribe from these e-mails upon receipt.
14. INFORMATION: For more information, including a list of winners, contact [email protected] or A Day with the Illinois Lottery Cup Sweepstakes, Attn: Brett Bennick, Chicago Wolves, 2301 Ravine Way, Glenview, IL 60025. Please allow up to six (6) weeks for a response.
IF YOU BELIEVE YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW HAS A GAMBLING PROBLEM, CRISIS COUNSELING AND REFERRAL SERVICES CAN BE ACCESSED BY CALLING 1- 800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537).A Day With the Illinois Lottery Cup Sweepstakes Official Rules Home | A Day With the Illinois Lottery Cup Sweepstakes Official Rules OFFICIAL RULES A Day with the Illinois Lottery Cup ]]>