Step 1: Check System Requirements
The following Windows platforms are supported:
- Windows 10 (Pro, Enterprise)
- Windows Server 2016 (Standard, Datacenter)
- Windows Server 2019 (Standard, Datacenter)
Your machine or VM needs at least one (1) CPU core and one (1) GB of RAM. Review the suggested hardware specifications to allocate additional CPU and RAM resources based on :
- Number of simultaneous calls the system handles.
- Number of active users – 100 Web Client active sessions is more demanding than 100 occasional calls via IP phones.
- Call recording use – stresses the system for audio mixing and file storage.
Supported VM Platforms
3CX is tested and supported to run as a Virtual Machine on these hypervisor platforms:
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.X and above .
- Microsoft HyperV 2012 R2 and above – see our Hyper-V Page for required settings.
- KVM 2.8 and above
- Citrix XenServer 7.0 and above
Avoid using 3CX on converted VMs (P2V) due to possible timing issues, causing the guest OS to not sync with the hypervisor ’s timer .
Network, Firewall & Other Requirements
- LAN installs are supported on properly configured RFC 1918 private networks, i.e. 172.16.0.0 /10.0.0.0/192.168.0.0 IP range .
- The PBX needs to be configured with a dedicated public IP.
- Installing 3CX on a machine behind a NAT device requires port forwarding. See the Firewall & Router Configuration Guide .
- Do not configure the 3CX host machine with a virtual network, VPN interface or the TeamViewer VPN option .
- Use the latest version of Firefox, Google Chrome or Edge to access the 3CX Management Console .
- The 3CX host machine needs internet connectivity to
Step 2: Prepare Your Host Machine for Installation
B efore installing 3CX :
- Assign a static internal IP address to the host machine’s network adapter.
- Install all available Windows updates & Service packs.
- Any installed Antivirus Software should avoid scanning:
Additionally , keep these in mind for the machine you are installing 3CX on :
- D isable all power saving options for your System and Network adapters . Set the system to “ High Performance ” from within “ Control Panel ” >“ Hardware ” >“ Power Options ” .
- Verify that the 3CX host machine is not configured as a server for DNS, DHCP, MS SharePoi nt , Exchange, SQL or any other network-based service(s ) .
3CX's PBX can be installed on a Windows server ever so easily. Read this step by step guide to find out how you can do this in minutes.